Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Preparing for Durban

Thank you for checking out my blog to track my experience at the Durban Review Conference. The Durban Review Conference will be taking place from April 20-24 in Geneva, Switzerland. I will be leaving for Geneva this Friday. I will be leaving for Geneva this Friday.


Many of my friends have asked - What is the Durban Review Conference and why are you going?


The short explanation is I have been selected by American Jewish Committee (http://www.ajc.org/) to serve as a delegate of UN Watch (http://www.unwatch.org/) to the Durban Review Conference to bear witness to what occurs at the conference.


The Durban Review Conference is a United Nations conference and part of the World Conference Against Racism (WCAR). There have been three prior WCAR meetings - 1978, 1983 and 2001.


During the 2001 Conference, instead of focusing on issues of racism around the globe - the conference took a disturbing turn and decided to focus solely on Israel. For a disturbing account of the experience of one student at the Conference, please read the Durban Diaries (http://www.unwatch.org/atf/cf/{6DEB65DA-BE5B-4CAE-8056-8BF0BEDF4D17}/Durban%20Diaries.pdf)


For visual examples of what took place in 2001:






I think the trend of anti-Israel activity - especially at the expensive of focusing on racism and human rights violations around the world - is deeply troubling. That the United Nations would support this anti-Israel activity is appalling. As the US government reevaluates its relationship with United Nations Human Rights Council, I think it is imperative that Americans take the time to learn more about this organization and how it has ignored human rights violations around the world to focus - almost exclusively - on the defamation of Israel.


I look forward to the experience and hope you will check out my blog throughout the week as I update you on my experience at the Durban Review Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment